From Coast Guards All Hands:
6 May-- Military Spouse Appreciation Day
R 282121Z APR 10 ZUI ASN-AM1118000125 ZYB FM COMDT COGARD WASHINGTON DC//CG-11// TO ALCOAST BT UNCLAS //N01754// ALCOAST 211/10 COMDTNOTE 1754
SUBJ: MILITARY SPOUSE APPRECIATION DAY
1. IN 1984, THEN PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN PROCLAIMED THE FRIDAY BEFORE MOTHERS DAY TO BE DESIGNATED AS MILITARY SPOUSE APPRECIATION DAY. SINCE THEN, EACH PRESIDENT AND SENIOR MILITARY LEADERS HAVE ECHOED THE SENTIMENTS OF APPRECIATION TO MILITARY SPOUSES. ON FRIDAY MAY 7, 2010 PLEASE JOIN ME IN EXPRESSING APPRECIATION TO OUR COAST GUARD SPOUSES FOR ALL THEIR SUPPORT, LOVE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AS WE PERFORM OUR DAILY TASKS.
2. THE COAST GUARDS CORE VALUES ARE HONOR, RESPECT, AND DEVOTION TO DUTY. IN SO MANY WAYS, COAST GUARD SPOUSES CONTRIBUTE TO AND LIVE OUT THESE VALUES. AS HUSBANDS AND WIVES, MENTORS AND ROLE MODELS FOR OUR CHILDREN AND YOUNG SERVICE MEMBERS, GOOD WILL AMBASSADORS AND VOLUNTEERS WITHIN OUR COMMUNITIES, OUR SPOUSES ENRICH OUR LIVES, AND CONTRIBUTE TO OUR PERFORMANCE. THEIR CONTINUED SUPPORT ENABLES US TO BE SEMPER PARATUS, AND SUCCESSFULLY PERFORM THE MYRIAD OF COAST GUARD MISSIONS DAILY.
3. THROUGHOUT OUR CAREERS, OUR SPOUSES OFTEN PUT ASIDE THEIR PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL ASPIRATIONS TO ENABLE US TO ANSWER OUR CALL TO DUTY. ...
(You KNOW there is more here.) Without our military spouses, our deployed troops could not do what they do. Here's another piece I found, and although it was originally posted in 2008, the sentiments are timeless:
Friday, May 9, 2008To all my sisters out there, Happy Military Spouse Appreciation Day! The following has been circulating around the MySpace bulletin board this morning, but (with a few edits for grammatical errors!!) I thought it was worth reposting.Here's to you, the one who waits, no matter the distance, no matter the time.Here's to you, the one who fights your own battle at home, between the tears and sleepless nights.Here's to you, the one who will never give up, even when everything around you seems to be falling down.And here's to you, because while people may think they know how tough it is to be a hero, no one but us will ever know how tough it is to love one...Semper Fi, ladies! :)
From Faith Deployed: Spiritual Support For Military Wives:
5 Give-aways for Military Spouse Appreciation Day!
Are you ready for Military Spouse Appreciation Day tomorrow? I hope that each of you feels valued and appreciated every day, but especially tomorrow. I would also encourage you to think of at least one other military wife you could email, call, or send a note to just to tell her that you appreciate her. I’m sure it will make her day!
Now here’s what I’ve got up my sleeve, which I’m pretty excited about. As you already know (probably), Ronda Sturgill has generously offered five copies of her book Wives of the Warriors for me to give away tomorrow. To enter that drawing, click here and leave a comment.
But here are some NEW give-away items I just snagged for you:
This drawing is for military spouses only, please, in honor of the holiday. To enter the drawing for any of the four items mentioned above, please leave a comment indicating which one you would like. ...
- five copies of The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman
- five copies of The Love Dare Day by Day: Wedding Edition, a 365-day devotional book for newly married couples
- five copies of the DVD What’s in the Bible? by the creators of Veggie Tales (for 5-12 year-olds)
- one 3-DVD set which includes the movies Fireproof, Facing the Giants, and FlyWheel.
Go read more here, and I see that they are on FaceBook, too.
Over on my sidebar there, you'll also find DeltaBravoSierra. His comic strip today recognises Military Spouse Appreciation Day. Go look, and if you haven't already, you really should bookmark DBS and make him part of your daily reading. He is also on FaceBook, and would make a good FB friend.
Although today is the official Military Spouse Appreciation Day, I am sure I don't need to tell you that EVERY day is a great day to show our appreciation to all our incredible military spouses.
'Every soldier's family is OUR family.' Thank them for their service every chance you get.
Thank you ALL.